Werner Pfeiffer was born in 1937 in Stuttgart in the southwestern part of Germany. He studied at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste in his home town. In 1961 he emigrated to the United States. Initially, he was active as a designer and art director on a variety of projects. In this capacity he received many citations and awards from the New York Art Directors Club, the New York Type Directors Club, the New York Society of Illustrators, and the American Institute of Graphic Arts. His design work has been widely published in the international design literature in magazines such as Graphis, Gebrauchsgrafik, Print, Modern Publicity and Art Direction. In 1969 he was appointed Professor of Art at Pratt Institute in New York. At the same time he assumed the position of director of the Pratt Adlib Press, a publishing venture of the Department of Graphic Art at Pratt. In the late 1960s he started to concentrate exclusively on his own work as sculptor, printmaker and painter. He lives in Red Hook, a small community in the mid-Hudson region in New York State.
His books, collages, drawings, prints, paintings and sculptures have been shown internationally in more than 100 group exhibitions and in over 75 solo shows in countries such as Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, Germany, Israel, Sweden, Switzerland and throughout the United States.
Over the years he has received numerous public sculpture commissions from the State of Connecticut, the Federal Government of Germany, the State of Niedersachsen in Germany and the State of Massachusetts. Commissions in the private sector include projects for corporations such as Baxter International, Chemical Bank, Zürich, the Hartford Insurance Group, Lackwerke Wülfling, Daimler-Benz Credit Corp./USA and the Hartford Courant, a part of the Time Mirror Group.
Besides being part of many private collections here and abroad, his work is represented in major museums, and university and public collections throughout the world.